Wednesday, February 22, 2012

my ovaries are on fire


I haven't really posted since I've been on meds, so here's the synopsis broken down by shot. Lupron - these are the shots I've been taking every morning in the stomach. They are given with a tiny insulin needle, so they are pretty painless. The side effects were that I've become pretty much, well, stupid. I can't focus on minor tasks, such as for instance writing out a check.. I paid the mortgage and wrote two different amounts on the check. Stupid. Follistim- this is another shot in the stomach, and given with a pen. The needle is pretty small, so again, pretty painless. This medication makes me overly tired and I've had a lot of hot flashes. Also, in week 2 of taking this (as my follicles are growing) my ovaries feel like they are on fire. A lot of pressure in my abdomen to the point where it's been waking me up at night. Menopur - This is another stomach shot that we actually have to mix a vial of liquid and a vial of powder together first before giving it. The needle is a little bit bigger, but still not too bad. I can't say that I've specifically had any side effects from this medication. I had read a few places that Menopur stings when being injected, but honestly it was nothing like the next shot. Lovenox - This one is a blood thinner that I had to be on because of the pulmonary embolism I previously had. Another stomach shot, this was a pre-filled syringe, not a huge needle, but the whole thing really burned when going in. In fact, it burned about 15 minutes after the shot was given and made me feel really lightheaded. 

As you can tell, there have been a lot of shots, some days more than others. The picture on this post was from my valentine that Marisa got me... a little bit of shot humor for you!

So that brings me to today, I had another ultrasound and they decided that I was ready to go. My right ovary follicles were 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 15, 17, 18 and my left were 12, 13, 18, 19. I also had a bunch of smaller follicles that he said wouldn't be able to be used. So tonight we have to set an alarm for 1 AM and Marisa gets to give me the HCG shot in the butt. Awesome. The purpose of the HCG shot is to make me ovulate and have the follicles release the eggs. My procedure is on Friday at 11, but we have to be there by 10:15. I'm so nervous and excited all at the same time! The next post on here will probably be from Marisa (because I will be coming off of anesthesia) on Friday letting you all know how many eggs they retrieve from me. We're almost there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment